You are here
Computers, Data and Information
A computer is an information processing machine. Computers process data to produce information.
The sets of instructions that humans give computers are called programs or software.
Software that carries out a particular type of task for a user is often called applications software.
There are many reasons for using computers:
- Computers can work much faster than humans;
- Computers never get tired or need a rest;
- Computers can do jobs that it would be dangerous for a human to do;
- Computers can store large amounts of information in a very small space;
- Computers can find information very quickly;
- Computers never lose or mispl ...